Posted: 3:58 pm Monday, August 29th, 2016
I’ve lived in FL my whole life. In 2004 when we got storm after storm after storm, I just started working in radio. I remember losing power at home for days. There was no gas at the gas stations. I would go up to the radio station to do my college homework and just enjoy the air conditioning. Growing up in Florida, my parents always had a Hurricane supply kit ready. My mom would be so mad that I don’t have it ready to go. Shhh… don’t tell her.
Here’s everything you should have:
- Water! You should have one gallon per person per day.
- At least a 3 day supply of non-perishable food. Nothing that needs to go in the fridge.
- A battery powered radio.
- Flash lights & extra batteries
- First aid kit
- A whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties (this is for personal sanitation) gross 😉
- Wrench and pliers to turn off utilites
- Manual can opener (ya know, because you probably won’t have power if you need all of this other stuff)
- Local Map (Apple Maps isn’t gonna work well when your phone battery is dead)
- Cell Phone with chargers (get a solar charger!)
Don’t have all of this stuff? Start getting this stuff together little by little. Better safe than sorry!