Here’s a List of Wines to Pair with Halloween Candy
Posted: 6:13 am Friday, October 28th, 2016
If your date cancelled on you this weekend and you’ll be enjoying some wine with your Nightmare Before Christmas alone tonight (aka what happened to me last Saturday) I’ve discovered the best wine pairings to go with your favorite Halloween candy. Sit back, kick your feet up, and enjoy:
1. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and Sherry. The raisin, caramel, and almond flavors of the Sherry help enhance the creamy peanut butter filling.
2. M&Ms and Port wine. The dark, sweet, black fig and dried fruit notes of Port counter-balances the milk chocolate in M&Ms.
3. Hershey Kisses and Zinfandel. It contrasts the creamy milk chocolate with ripe berry flavors, and will supposedly turn every bite into a, quote, “raspberry cordial on the palate.”
4. Twix or Almond Joy and the Portuguese wine Madeira. Coconut and caramel both complement the brown sugar nuttiness of Madeira.
5. Sour Patch Kids or Sweet Tarts and Riesling. The sweetness of the Riesling counters the candy’s tartness, and finishes with a cleansing kick of acidity.
6. Whoppers and a bold Cabernet Sauvignon. Whoppers need a wine with depth to keep from being overpowered by all the malt and chocolate.
7. Candy Corn and Moscato. The sugar in the candy corn amps up the fruitiness in the Moscato, and both taste better as a result.